A WEAPPROACH TO
MANAGING A DISTRIBUTED TEAM
- Provide transparency into team operations and company updates.
- Stick to the facts and provide information succinctly.
- Focus on goals and outcomes, not activities.
- Identify clear objectives for any meetings.
- Leave time for and solicit questions.
- Connect their work with the vision of the organization and team.
- Allow them the freedom to achieve their goals in their own way.
- Keep things fun and allow for tangents.
- Give them projects that allow them to brainstorm and experiment with new ideas.
- Focus on the big picture and skip the details
Outline expectations, roles and rules of engagement for remote work.
Identify a schedule, including meeting times, uninterrupted work time, breaks, etc.
Provide details, including who, what, when and where for projects.
Follow through on your commitments.
Honor meeting agendas as well as start and end times.
Check in regularly with team members.
Talk about their life outside of work.
Encourage wellness breaks.
Ask for and value their input about decisions.
Host virtual team building events and meetings to bring the group together.
Provide information in writing. Direct attention to intranets and chat channels to allow for individual processing.
Make time for video interaction, face-to-face conversations and phone calls to allow for external processing.
Build consensus with the team and identify milestones for projects.
Allow for debate during problem-solving sessions.
Schedule uninterrupted work time for focused productivity. Stay the course once decisions are made.
Ask for their suggestions to improve programs and projects along the way. Allow for multitasking approaches toward task completion.